Monday, June 15, 2009

If you're good at something, never do it for free.

Last night, I was doing something mindless- probably sudoku- with the TV on in the background and I caught a snippet of a quote from a commercial. One of the actors said something like:



If you're good at something, never do it for free.



Commercial or no, as an artist this immediately resonated with me. More and more often, everyone from nonprofit organizations to multimillion dollar corporations seem to be requesting free art in return for 'exposure'. When I saw that article (linked above) about google on no less than three art blogs, I was struck by the timing, and the fact that this is an issue that resonates with LOTS of artists.

As well it should; I can't think of any other profession that gets these kinds of requests.

"Hey, have I got a plumbing opportunity for you! You'll get to work in a high-profile business, do a really ambitious plumbing project that will take 25 hours or more of your time- are you interested? Oh no, there's no pay, but think of the EXPOSURE!"

Okay so I don't have any plumbing vocabulary... my point is that plumbers, as professionals, recieve special training and compete with other professionals for contract work. Good ones take pride in what they do, and even if they really really enjoy it- this is their livelihood. Gee, who else does this sound like?


So why do folks treat artists differently?

The case gets a little stickier when we come to fundraisers for charity events or nonprofits. These are good causes; how can you say no? Allright, I'll admit it. I donate to one or two shows a year- but no more than that. Be choosy- give to causes you really feel strongly about, ones that respect your work. I say this for a few reasons:

1) Some fundraisers sell work below the artist's usual price. If your work is known to be available often, for cheaper than its fair price, your work in galleries becomes devalued.

2) Maybe not a lot of non-artists know this, but when it comes to taxes, artists are not allowed to deduct the full retail price of donated work. Just the cost of materials. This point is a separate rant unto itself, (and efforts are underway to change this) but it is worth considering.

I'm not saying don't give gifts. I'm not saying don't donate, ever. Maybe there are situations where exposure is helpful... What I am saying is: weigh the benefits and costs to you as an artist.

No comments: